Monday, January 9, 2012

Breakfast T, 6x6" (Sold)

This little painting is a study in "controlled chaos"!  Many students ask me how to loosen up their painting style and become more impressionistic in their approach.  In this case, I used large flat brushes and lots of thick paint to lay in the color after I drew in the major shapes.  Then, I went back in with a slightly smaller flat brush to put the structure of the pot and its contents back in.  I tried very hard not to touch the color areas that were working, so that the freshness of the paint wouldn't be ruined.

One other thing that I kept in mind throughout the painting process was to use straight lines whenever possible.  Look at the top of the teapot.  Even though the lid is circular, I painted it in consecutive straight lines.  It reads as round, but the straight lines give it a spontaneous quality that I like.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, Ann. I enjoyed reading about your process. I am always trying to paint more loosely and these hints really help! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your process explanation is very helpful Ann! I want to paint more loosely yet struggled with "how" exactly. Thanks for the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...love the colors and the perspective. I also really enjoyed reading your process. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely. I love your loose strokes and the explanation of how you achieve them is very helpful. I'm need to work on that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete