Sunday, December 14, 2014

"Chinese Jar and Grapefruits", 8x8"


Just as a musician practices scales before launching into a complicated piece, I like to practice simple still life setups from life to keep my observation skills sharp.  I always ask myself, what colors do I see beyond the obvious?  Where can I lose an edge or where can I sharpen one?  Is the composition balanced and pleasant to look at?

Every completed painting, large or small, informs the next painting.  Questions or problems that pop up will look for resolution in the next piece.  When the painting is smaller and the stakes are lower, I can explore new territory and push myself a little further.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, Ann, exploration IS the key to growing as an artist .
    Love the colors in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost edges. I respond to them and then when I paint I can't get to that place....I will keep trying.

    ReplyDelete