Monday, July 24, 2017

Editing a Setup


"Harmony", 8x8"

Artists are lucky.  We can instantly "photo shop" anything to suit our vision as we paint.  I did exactly that with the setup I was using when I painted "Harmony".  Here it is:


As I started to paint these hydrangeas, I realized that the colors in the setup were very cool-- all I could see was blue, green, and a little blue-green, even in the flowers!  I wanted to introduce some interesting colors, so I imagined my setup without color at all:


When I looked at the reference without any color in it, my mind started to add some colors that weren't there.  As long as I stuck to my values (dark, middle, and light), I could add any colors that came to mind, and the painting would read correctly.  I also decided to simplify my shapes by using a very large brush.

In the end, my painting isn't a "portrait of flowers", but an "interpretation of flowers", which I felt happy with.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way it turned out, Ann. Especially the vase...magic with paint!

    I have a photo program which does wonderful things like this to my photos.
    so I will definitely try your method.

    ReplyDelete