Wednesday, November 21, 2018

"Contemplation"

"Contemplation", 10x8", oil on panel
Mary Williams Fine Art

In my last post, I talked about how I will change my technique to "fit" different subjects.  A lively, colorful subject (like the peaches in my last post) will likely get a very impressionistic approach with lots of thick paint and color, perhaps with a bit of palette knife application while I'm there.  I'll also change my approach to fit my mood.  With these white roses, I decided to slow way down and really see my subject.  The color shifts and the edges were full of subtlety, so I needed to be patient and build the painting gradually.

Today's art market encourages artists to find a certain style and stick to it, making that technique their recognizable trademark.  Try as I might, I can't stick with the same approach to all of my paintings.  For me, art is an exploration and I'm constantly seeking new subjects and new ways to approach them.  

Thank you Sherri Burritt, fellow artist and green thumb extraordinaire for sharing these home grown beauties with me!

2 comments:

  1. your way of handling the issues are incredible...like it...so is me can't stick on one way 'cause every subject hsd its own uniquness can't be done in same techniques. keep up!

    ReplyDelete