Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Monday Morning, St. Petersburg, 8x10"


St Petersburg has rush hour in the morning, just like any large city today.  The biggest difference for me was the sight of those arresting domes hovering over the skyline.  The architecture there is unlike any I have seen before-- it made me feel so very far from home.

To bid on this painting, please click on Ann Feldman St Petersburg.

I wanted to share a mosaic I photographed in St Isaac's Cathedral with you.  At first glance, this piece looked like a stunning oil painting, but on closer inspection, it turned out to be a mosaic of thousands of tiny ceramic squares, each perfectly colored to show form and light.  I stood in front of this masterpiece with my jaw dropped and my eyes wide open for what must have been a very long time.  Long enough for my mother to finish her shopping in the cathedral gift shop, and then we were off again!





1 comment:

  1. Very cool mosaic painting that certainly does look like an oil from a distance. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete