Friday, January 2, 2015

"Abstracted Flowers", 16x20"


Creativity can be very fickle.

Since coming home from the holidays, I've been in my studio every day, struggling to bring a certain painting to life.  It refuses to budge, and I leave the studio every day frustrated and down.  Seems the harder I try to get this painting to work, the further it gets away from me.

Today, I decided to try a new course of action.  I put the old painting away and took out a floral that I had started months ago but never finished.  I started to paint with happy abandon, and this painting cooperated with me!  It may not be to everyone's taste, but I was able to let the paint flow without over thinking it.  I feel like I'm out of my creative rut, and that is indeed a good feeling.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri. It's great to get positive feedback when we go out on a new limb! Makes me think that maybe I'm not too crazy after all :)

      Delete
  2. Wow...now that is what I call soft edges. I wonder how to do that in watercolor. I love the effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you like it Jo! I was taking a bit of a risk on this one, so maybe it's a path worth following for a while.

      Delete
  3. I love it Ann. Beautiful colors and even though quite abstracted you can still feel the "solid" foundation, which I like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! Beautiful soft edges. It was great to read this post....I'm struggling with a painting and it is not a nice feeling!! It helps to know I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely to my taste too, Ann!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete