Thursday, January 15, 2015

"Flowers and Grapefruits", 20x16"


My obsessive nature is getting the best of me. I repainted my last painting YET AGAIN.  It's heavy from all the layers of paint underneath.  I kept going back to it on my easel, and it just seemed static to me.  It needed life and it needed even more color.  I loaded up my brushes and went at it again.

A new blog follower (Hi Phyllis) told me that an artist friend of hers would share other artists' works on her blog, along with her own paintings.  I love this idea, especially since I often have someone else's work on my mind as I'm developing my own paintings.  Recently, I've been admiring Joan Mitchell's work, and I think it impacted today's piece quite a lot.  Here is an example of her work:


As you can see, Joan Mitchell was an Abstract Expressionist.  She painted nature in such a free and colorful way, I never get tired of looking at her paintings.  She once said, "If I could paint like Matisse, I'd be in heaven".  For my part, if I could take a drop of the excitement and spontaneity of her paintings and put them into mine, I'd be in heaven too.

4 comments:

  1. This painting is great..no more changes. Thanks for introducing me to Joan Mitchell. I like her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Ann,(yours) lots of movement and excitement. I need a little more structure than Joan's has, but love the colors. But I will check her other pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you've found me and that you'll be stopping by from time to time. Thank you for your very kind comments!

      Delete